BREAKFAST SANDWICH WITH RICOTTA SPREAD
This recipe can make a quick and easy breakfast or light lunch. The beauty of this is that it is very flexible and you can replace it with your favorite ingredients. Instead of arugula, you can use spinach or even sautéed mushrooms.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 4 mins
Total time: 14 mins
- 4 (2-ounce) slices whole-wheat country bread
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups of arugula
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) of grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
- Coat both sides of bread with cooking spray and toast until lightly golden using your preferred method (broil, toaster or grill)
- Arugula mixture: Combine the arugula with 2 teaspoons oil, juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss gently.
- Cook the eggs: In a nonstick saute pan over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Crack eggs into a pan and cook for 2 minutes. Cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until whites are set. Remove from heat.
- Ricotta mixture:Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, ricotta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and thyme.
- Assemble sandwich: On the toast add a layer of ricotta mix and arugula salad, top with cooked egg, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.